Thursday, March 10, 2011

SHARE

About 1 week after MaKaylie was born, my dear friend Racheal's healthy 6 week old baby boy Maxxton passed away. I was so sad for her. Since I had lost a baby before and because we had been friends since Kindergarten (24 yrs), I felt I needed to be there for her. I realize my loss of a baby is not the same extent as hers. But a loss is a loss, nonetheless.

She asked about support groups or therapy and many of her friends/family and I suggested places she could go to and she found SHARE Parents of Utah. They met 2 times a month (2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month) and she asked me if I would go with her. I accepted without hesitation.   I had always wanted to go to the support groups I was invited to after my loss but did not want to go alone and Eric needed to watch the kids, plus I was working nights and it was just really hard for me to be able to go, I never went to any of mine and I think they only invite you up to your year mark. I however, stopped getting invited in Nov 2010 which was only 5 months after my loss. Anyway, the next meeting was just a few days away and it was at Intermountain Medical Center. The meetings are always at IMC (2nd Tuesday) or Jordan Valley Hospital (4th Tuesday). 

Racheal and I met at 7 pm (the group started at 7:30) not sure why we got there so early. But we did. The topic for this night, was Memories. Racheal and I walked in and many others started walking in also. On this night, we met quite a few Angel Baby families. I want to say there was about 12 of us (2 were couples). We all told our story and shared our memories. It was so saddening to hear all the stories. Racheal and I ended up becoming friends with pretty much all of them, became facebook friends with the ones that had facebook accounts. We spent about 1.5-2 hrs telling/listening to the stories and then majority of us chatted afterward. It was well after 10 pm before I got home.

I have continued to go off an on with and without Racheal to these meetings. They're not the easiest meetings to attend. Very heartbreaking but always understood, as we are all in the same club. The club we were all forced to be in. I am so thankful for the Angel Mom's I have met going to these meetings, They are all such amazing women. Sometimes I feel like I don't belong because my loss was in the 2nd trimester, but before 20 weeks gest.

I was also invited a week or so later to an "Angel Mommy" Dinner. It is where a group of Angel Mommies get together and meet somewhere for dinner. We met at a place called Pei Wei, in Sandy and I met so many other mommies all of which I have become friends with on facebook too. There was also a photographer from Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep (NILMDTS) - A non-profit organization, who photograph these precious Angel Babies so that their families will have memories of their sweet baby(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment